Sunday, August 8, 2010

You Are Beautiful

"Hi, I'm Kristen. My nose is crooked from taking so many basketballs to the face. My bra size will always be small. My bite needs jaw surgery to be corrected but I will never get it. It seems like more acne appears on my face every week. I never paint my nails, I always cut them off so I don't have to deal with them. I will never be tan. My shoulders have enough freckles for 3 people. I'm 5'9" and I weigh 127. I'm terrified of turning 20.

It doesn't matter what you weigh
What you wear
How you look
Where you live
What you do for a living
How old you are

I am unique. And I am beautiful. I like to call this my 'Naked Hippie Theory.' I am who I am and I'm OK with that. Love yourself for who you really are, and not for who others want you to be. Join me?"

Yeah I just posted that to all of my 701 friends on facebook. Some of my deepest insecurities that I only tell my friend Andrea. I'll be honest. For the longest time...I hated my nose. Like looking up rhinoplasty and actually considering it. But then I realized...I only hate my nose because a 'friend' of mine went around "asking" people what they thought of me and apparently my "big nose" was unanimous. It got to me and I felt worthless. But the thing is, I always thought I was beautiful until that someone pointed out all of my "flaws" that she saw in me. And I allowed myself to feel inferior. It took me all through my high school years to realize that I AM beautiful. Even in high school, people would compliment me, but they fell on deaf ears. The only thing I would listen to was the list of my flaws. It is so unhealthy to focus on that. I felt like a weight was lifted on my shoulders posting that to the world. Eleanor Roosevelt...The only person who can make you feel inferior about yourself is YOU. I am not perfect. I will still struggle against my many insecurities. But I have come to realize that I am worthy for a boyfriend and I begin telling myself that I'm actually the "total package." I am taking a huge step towards inner peace, which I think is the hardest peace to conquer in today's society. Starting this school year, I pledge to try and be the confident girl I never was. I will love myself and I will be proud of who I am. Remember, you are beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment